Ali Asker Road is hidden in the heart of the City and still retains much of its greenery. The curve of a road which is hardly about three-fourths of a kilometre begins near the corporate office of Air Deccan on Cunningham and joins Miller Road at the other end.
The road is named after Ali Asker, the grand father of Dewan Mirza Ismail, who imported horses from iran. Agha Ali Asker was a Persian nobleman who settled in Bangalore. He traded in horses and Persian carpets and supplied horses to the royal stable. He created the Ali Asker Waqf Estate. Two of his family members namely Agha Shahi and Agha Hilaly migrated to Pakistan and became Foreign Secretaries of the nation.
Sir Mirza's grandson, Akbar Mirza Khaleeli, was Indian ambassador to Iran, Italy and Australia. He has four daughters Zeebeundeh Khaleeli, Sabah Backhache, Rehane Yavar Dhala and Esmath Khaleeli.
As you enter the road from the Cunningham Road side you notice a cross road on the right side with has several bungalows with a contemporary architecture. On the other side there is a speciality outlet, Green Channel, a one-stop shop for organic garden inputs and natural products and adjacent to it is an old style restaurant called Hotel Arasu. There is an old and elegant bungalow belonging to Dr Nandakumar Jairam, which was constructed by Veloo Mudaliar between 1867 and 1870. Veloo Mudaliar was a philanthropist, who among other things, contributed to the Veloo Mudaliar dispensary on Kamaraj Road.
Just close to the Jairam’s bungalow is the “backdoor” entry to the Police Commissioner’s office. (The official entry is on Infantry Road). On the opposite side there is the Registered office of The Mysore Paper Mills Ltd.
Further up the road there is a colonial style bunglow and the marble plaques on the pillars of the gates indicate, “Gold Burn” and “M K Shirazi.”
Mid-way on this road, at the junction where a cross road leads to the Raj Bhavan is the Office of the Registrar of Co-operative Societies and Registrar General of Money Lenders. Its official address is No 1, Ali Asker Road. The Department of Legal Metrology is also located in the same premises. There are two upmarket apartment blocks— The Embassy and Prestige Lansdowne on this road besides crass commercial building like the Krishna Apartments.
A sombre grey building on this road is the cloistered Carmelite Convent. This convent at Bangalore was founded by Bishop Maurice Despature in 1932. Desiring to have in his diocese of Bangalore, a praying community entirely dedicated to the contemplative life, the Bishop introduced cloistered Carmelites from Cholet, France, into his diocese (now the Archdiocese of Bangalore). Within a few years, under the leadership of Sr Elizabeth of the Trinity, monastic structures were put up and today several Sisters are now spending their days in cloistered surroundings.
Along one side of the wall from the Registrar of co-operative societies onwards there is the wall of the Plants Museum. At the end of the road is the Office of the Metropolitan Commissioner, Bangalore Metropolitan Region Development Authority.
The premises also houses the Office of the Chairman, Technical Advisory Committee, Irrigation Projects, Office of the Member of Parliament, Bangalore North Parliamentary Constituency (H T Sangliana).
The road ends with an ultra modern Safina Towers which houses the Safina Software Technology Park.